Search

I have been thinking about what I am going to do next. The Index knife project was great, I am currently working on a brass Traveler pry bar, but I needed to model. I thought about trying to make a smaller keychain pry bar but couldn't get it started. I want all my products to be different, unique, and of course functional. I struggled with the unique aspect of it as there are so many small keychain pry tools out there.

Through the help of a friend I have met in the EDC space, the perfect keychain tool started to become a reality...as a "G". Once the G was established as the design it was full speed ahead. Multiple tool ideas were put into a small package in order to get a ton of utility out of it. Bottle opener, pry, scraper, box opener, hex opening, key dangler, and measurement tool just to name a few.

I have printed half of dozen plastic models and happy where it is. I am currently working on a stainless steel prototype to truly test it out. If all goes well it should be available in a month or two for about $20-$30. I really wanted to keep it lower in price as well as functional for a large audience. I am loving it so far and can't wait to get my hands on the metal version. As always, let me know what you think.

51 views1 comment

When I started this project 3 months ago I never thought the sheath design was going to be as complex as it has been. It is just a sheath I told myself. All it needs to do is cover the blade. Boy was I wrong.


I started with a simple sewed piece of kevlar. This provided very little protection, didn't look great, and wouldn't stay on. It really was more of a place holder until I got something better. Next, I tried Kydex. Kydex is a fantastic material and people use it all the time for knives. It seemed like an easy win. A little research and an Amazon purchase later I had all the equipment I needed. It is actually really cool stuff and super easy to work with, but the problem I kept running into was I couldn't make it minimal. All attempts at a Kydex sheath led to something significantly larger than the knife itself which goes against the main goal of this project, an EDC friendly fixed blade.


So I wanted something small, simple, economical, but effective. If only I had the tools to do so...well, it turns out I do. CAD and 3D printing. This was a great solution but the design was more difficult than I expected. My initial attempt was to use magnets to keep the blade in the sheath. After a few iterations, I got something functional and would hold during normal use. I thought I was good until I did the jumping jack test. The knife flew out of the sheath and thankfully landed safely on the carpet. Turns out magnets are not the best idea.


Time to pivot to a new design. One of the things that make my knife so unique also is a great way for retention. I have a giant hole in the center that I can clip the sheath on to. Its simple, minimal, and effective. Bingo we have a winner. I have played with the design to get the knife to fit well and open one-handed. The sheath can also be designed to make sure the edge doesn't touch the plastic. I still plan a few additional small tweaks but really happy with how it works. Even better is since I am 3D printing the sheath I can make the lanyard hole sideways so the knife sits flat during neck carry. It's all about the little things.

It has been a long time in the making but everything is just about done with my knife, The Index. I will be opening preorders on Friday 4/3/2020.



40 views0 comments

I am so happy to have finished the first functional prototype made out of heat-treated M390. It feels even better in my hands than the 3D printed versions.


Over the next week or two, I plan on putting this prototype through a bunch of testing. This will involve carrying it regularly, using for normal tasks, torture testing, as well as a little food prep (a special request). In parallel to the testing, I need to figure out what I am going to make the sheath look like. I have started to work on some 3D printed ideas and may even use a high-end 3D print for production. Also, I will be investigating Kydex more as I continue to play with different designs. Either way I go, it is not going to be your normal fixed blade sheath.

Enjoy all the pictures and I will be posting smaller updates on Instagram with a final post on my design blog when the design is finalized. Once I am completely happy with the design, and not a minute sooner, I will open up pre-orders for the first production run. I want to make sure the knife is perfect before releasing it. Let me know what you think in the comments section or shoot me an email (GondekEDC@gmail.com).

47 views0 comments
Subscribe Form
  • Instagram
  • Facebook Social Icon

All Contents © 2021, GondekEDC. All Rights Reserved

0CART
logo.png